Strengthen your defences, deliciously.
Kick that cold or flu to the curb with this vitamin and mineral-rich vegetarian broth.
- 1 ounce of dry reishi mushroom
- 1 ounce of dry shiitake mushroom
- 4 Tbsp of dry, chopped sea vegetables(i.e. seaweeds – any kind)
- 1 ounce of astragalus bark
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger root
- 4 Tbsp of organic barley
- 4 Tbsp of organic brown rice
- 2 cups of chopped, organic vegetables of choice
1) Soak mushrooms, sea vegetables, astragalus and ginger root in water. Add enough water to cover plus an extra inch of water on top.
2) When the mushrooms are soft, cut into pieces. Put aside sea vegetables
Note: Save the soaking water, but discard the astragalus and ginger.
2) Pour 8 cups of fresh water into a large pot and bring to a boil. Add the soaking water and let simmer for 5 minutes.
3) Add remaining ingredients including the chopped mushrooms and sea vegetables to the pot and let simmer for 30 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.